Central Sector Scheme of Free Coaching for SC and OBC Students
- The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India will fund the entire expenditure treating the Scheme as a Central Sector Scheme. It is intended to have an outlay of Rs.40 crores during 11th Plan period.
- The grants-in-aid along with eligible amount of stipend for the students will be released directly to the institutions/centers concerned.
- Grants-in-aid will be released to institutions concerned in two installments. The second installment will be released only after receiving a satisfactory inspection report from the State Government. However, institutions being run by State Government/UT administrations or by the Central Government would be exempt from such inspection.
Quantum of Fee
The Committee mentioned at second item under heading "Selection of Reputed Institutions" above, will decide the fee structure for different examinations as well as duration of coaching after getting the market feedback every year. Accordingly, it will vary from year to year.
Eligibility of Students
- The students should be selected based on merit;
- The students must have secured percentage of marks in the qualifying examinations as prescribed for the course/examination for which free coaching is being imparted under the scheme;
- Only students belonging to SCs and OBCs having total family income of Rs.2.00 lakh per annum will be eligible under the scheme;
- Benefits under the scheme can be availed by a particular student not more than two times, irrespective of the number of chances; he/she may be entitled to in a particular competitive examination. The coaching institution will also required to take an affidavit from the student that they have not taken benefit more than twice under this scheme.
- Where examination is conducted in two stages viz. Preliminary and Main, the SC and OBC candidates will be entitled for free coaching for both the examinations. However, coaching for the Main examination will be available only to those candidates who have cleared the preliminary examination; and
- The selected students shall have to attend all classes. In the event of any student remaining absent for more than 15 days, without any valid reason, benefits of free coaching to him/her shall be discontinued and another students shall be taken in his/her place.
Ratio of Candidates
The ratio of SC and OBC students to be coached under the Scheme will be 70:30. In case of non-availability of candidates, the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment can relax this ratio.