The Persons with Disabilities (Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full Participation) Act, 1995
(1 of 1996)
PUBLISHED IN PART II, SECTION 1 OF THE EXTRAORDINARY GAZETTE OF INDIA
MINISTRY OF LAW, JUSTICE AND COMPANY AFFAIRS
New Delhi, the 1st January, 1996/Pausa 11, 1917 (Saka)
The following Act of Parliament received the assent of the President on the 1st January, 1996, and is hereby published for general information: -
No.1 OF 1996
[1st January 1996]
An Act to give effect to the Proclamation on the Full Participation and Equality of the People with Disabilities in the Asian and Pacific Region.
WHEREAS the Meeting to Launch the Asian and Pacific Decade of Disabled Persons 1993-2002 convened by the Economic and Social Commission for Asia and Pacific held at Beijing on 1st to 5th December, 1992, adopted the Proclamation on the Full Participation and Equality of People with Disabilities in the Asian and Pacific Region;
AND WHEREAS India is a signatory to the said Proclamation;
AND WHEREAS it is considered necessary to implement the Proclamation aforesaid.
Be it enacted by Parliament in the Forty-sixth Year of the Republic of India as follows: -
1. Short title, extent and commencement.-
- This Act may be called the Persons With Disabilities (Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full Participation) Act, 1995.
- It extends to the whole of India except the State of Jammu and Kashmir.
- It shall come into force on such date as the Central Government may, by notification, appoint.
2. Definitions. - In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires,-